Thursday, August 20, 2009

Honoring our Bodies?

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I decided to honor my body by going to bed earlier than my usual time even though I didn’t feel tired, but had a headache that wouldn’t stop. It was about 1:30 a.m. and I took my usual meds which includes Ambien CR and added two Naproxen. After praying and praising the Lord with silent songs in my aching head while listening to the nasal and throat sounds from both my husband and dog for more than 45 minutes, I decided to beg God to let me go to sleep in spite of the fact that this was Decadron day and sleep eludes me until at least 4 a.m. (I take it to stop the horrid itching--a symptom of non-Hodgkins lymphoma.) I decided if I hadn’t drifted off in 15 minutes that was it. I was getting up. The head kept throbbing, the snoring kept annoying me and I hadn’t looked at the clock yet. Twenty minutes had gone by and I knew I needed to put the ice bag in the freezer for morning, because the headache continues, but tapers off, throughout the next day, so I crept to the kitchen and low and behold…I hadn’t noticed the 6 oz. containers of ice cream when I retrieved the ice bag and since it was lower in both fat and calories I knew I was obeying this verse. Of course, that would be a lie because I hadn’t chosen the verse yet, Peggie did yesterday.

The Lord has been urging me, well, urging isn’t quite the right word, perhaps nudging, prodding, (gently with the cattle prod, please) and just plain telling me in more than one way that I should resume writing devotions. My resistance with excuses has gone on long enough. Earlier the brain failed to recall why I had stopped, but I think it was when I went to work full time several years ago. I’ve told myself I should start again and tonight was a huge command. The Holy Spirit has been trying to get my attention, reminded me that Jesus owns me and I committed to serve and make Jesus the Lord of my life. I don’t exactly remember saying anything about my body, but I’ve read this verse at least 50 million times (that’s my favorite number) and there went another lie. God forgive me, but I know it’s been a lot because I memorized it as a kid and for the record I am NOT in the habit of telling lies.

Now why did God add that honoring Him with our bodies? I’ll go read more of the passage so I can look at the context. I’m back…wow, what a revelation. It certainly makes a difference and has little to do with Edy’s slow- churned rich and creamy mint chocolate chip. At the beginning of chapter 6, Paul chastises about lawsuits among believers. Verse 12 begins with all things permissible and specifically mentions food, all of which are not necessarily beneficial, that Paul will not be mastered by anything and that both the stomach and food will be destroyed by God. Then immediately he says, “The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body….Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never….But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit.” Wow, stick me with the cattle prod. I don’t remember reading that example before. But most important is in verse 18, “Flee from sexual immorality (that’s a repeat). All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.” Wow, again. We are not just nudged, cajoled, cattle prodded, nor is it merely suggested that we honor God with our body, it is, “Therefore, honor God with your body.”

I hadn’t thought of the outside and inside aspect of these verses. Well, OK, I’ve read it before, but I have a retention problem with my brain—is that an inner defect? Back to the subject, I don’t think we need to explore honor. It appears frequently in the Bible and the 10 commandments are quite clear that we shall live a longer life if we honor our father and mother. Respecting fleshing parents is another thing, but honor is commanded. Let that sink in and let the Holy Spirit reveal to you what you are to do with that one. He did me a number of years ago and I was blessed for being obedient (most of the time).

Back to our bodies—Paul devotes 1 ½ verses to the outer body and gives 18 ½ verses to the inner body. When we unite ourselves with the Lord we are one with Him in spirit, making us a temple of the Holy Spirit. We have the Spirit with always. Praise the Lord. He is also known as our Comforter and Counselor. How often do we use the brain power God has given us to access our hearts and draw upon the services of the third part of the most powerful trio we have available to us? Usually--not often enough. I know I haven’t recently and it has caused me to be more depressed and irritable and worrisome and God forgive me, please. I know I will do better because I’ve been reminded of your commands and the Holy Spirit power you have given me to obey your commands. Thank you, all Three.
--Lovingly, Marcia Walthers, August 20, 2009, 4:18 a.m.

No comments: